Top 10 breakfast foods that are easy to cook
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Look at it this way- it is the first meal you have after a gap of over ten hours, and it sets the body machinery working after a prolonged period rest through the night. If you have a breakfast that is way too light, you will find it really hard to work efficiently or concentrate through the day.
But who wants the same old toast and fried eggs and ham for breakfast day after day? Of course you want to try new recipes. But then, they can’t take too much time. Whatever you make should be easy on the digestive system, yet high energy and filling.
Here’s a list of top ten breakfast foods that are easy to cook and tasty too.
- Give the regular omelets a miss and cook frittatas for your family. All you have to do is beat eggs together with milk or cream, and ad a filling of your choice. It could be anything from shredded chicken to slices of ham or cooked potato. Vegetarians can add tomato and a little baby corn. Cook on the stove and serve hot.
- Pancakes make for great breakfasts once in a while. Mix flour and baking powder together with sugar and eggs and beat till fluffy. Fry on the griddle till lightly browned. Have with syrup or honey or fruit.
- Add eggs, milk and butter to a mixture of flour and baking soda. Bake on a waffle iron and add slices of ham on top. Serve with scrambled eggs.
- Dip slices of bread in eggs beaten with a little milk. Add cubes of tomato, onions and green chilies if you like. Fry on a low fire.
- Carefully mix peanut butter and boiling water and smear over toast. fry in butter and serve with honey or jelly.
- Use leftovers from the night before. Mix cornmeal mush and nuts and let cool on a wet bread pan. Slice and broil on a lightly oiled griddle. Serve with jam. This goes with anything remotely sweet.
- Some days, just have plain cereal with a helping of fresh fruit and cream.
- Try an Indian breakfast one day. Make dough of flour and a cup of water and knead well. Troll out into discs with a rolling pin. Deep fry in oil. Serve with a spicy potato curry. Alternatively, you can have idlis, dhokla or stuffed parathas. A Chinese breakfast with dumplings and noodles and steamed vegetables make for a welcome change.
- Have muffins for a late Sunday breakfast. Try different flavors including sweet potato, coffee, honey, raisins, fruit and nuts.
- On special days, make a breakfast tray for your mother, spouse or partner. Make French toast or pancakes. You could have ham and eggs after the English fashion. To go totally overboard, have fried sausages with ketchup. On Valentines’ day, you can do the strawberries and cream routine at breakfast rather than at midnight.